- Botanical Name: Amelanchier arborea
- Common Names: Serviceberry, Downy
What distinguishes the lovely Downy Serviceberry?
- Description: From its spring showcase of gorgeous white blossoms to its vibrant fall colors and berries, the Downy Serviceberry is a resilient ornamental tree that has proven itself worthy of respect and admiration.
- Vivid multi-seasonal coloration.
- Tolerance to various soil, urban conditions, and various climates.
- Velvety flowers.
- Bewitching fall colors.
- Abundance of delicious red berries (excellent for snacking and baking)
- Compact structure ensures that this specimen, cultivated as a tree or shrub, doesn’t demand lots of space to grow—making it ideal for small yards.
Keeping up appearances:
The flowering Downy Serviceberry can be cultivated with one trunk or as a multi-stemmed shrub, but either way the specimen is famously distinguishable by the fuzzy texture of its leaves. Its delicate, pale, slightly aromatic spring blossoms emerge in March or April, revealing the origins of the tree’s binomial name, “Amelanchier Arborea”. These flowers later give way to berry-like fruit—a spectacular ingredient in many pies and preserves—that darkens from green to scarlet to inky purple once it ripens in June. The Downy Serviceberry saves its most vibrant pigments for later in the year, however, splashing the autumn scenery with a vivid canopy of molten gold and fierce orange interspersed with dusky green and cheery red.
A friendly recommendation.
Growing in hardiness zones 4-9, the Downy Serviceberry can be found throughout the woodlands, hillsides, mountain slopes, and streambanks of eastern North America, ranging from Maine to Iowa and found as far south as Louisiana and Florida. Optimally grown in full sun or partial shade and in well-drained, acidic soils, the narrow, rounded crown of this species usually grows to 30 ft., reigning as the tallest of the serviceberries. Tolerant of urban conditions and lenient in the company of other species, the Downy Serviceberry is an excellent choice for a wide spectrum of landscapes and locations, providing plenty of value by beautifying a small yard, attracting wildlife, and offering edible fruit.
*Due to some restrictions, orders cannot be shipped to California. All orders placed to a California delivery address will be fully refunded back to the customer*